Saturday, April 29, 2023

POST #11 READING GRQ AND DISCUSSION - MARGOT LOVEJOY - THE CAMERA AS ARTIFICIAL EYE AND THE INFLUENCE OF TOOLS

 GRQ

1. camera obscura

2. light-sensitive chemistry

3. daguerreotype

4. negative/positive

5. aura

6. commodity

7. exhibition value

8. cult value

9. photomontage

10. appropriated elements

11. cinematography

12. Photomechanical

13. Eadweard Muybridge's

14. Jules-Etienne Marey

15. Dadaists

16. Dadaists

17. Max Ernst


Discussion 

When it comes to how a picture is seen and understood from it's viewer it goes into the studium and punctum. Studium is the visual information contained within a photograph while Punctum is a response elicited by a photograph that is deeply subjective, difficult to describe and impossible to see. A picture is worth a thousand words. I think when it comes to any form of art, people always interpret it all depending on their views and the way they see things. It's hard to make sure people take what you photograph without defining it as something else. Although with the way photos are now, I think they've lost their meaning and not all photos are art. I wouldn't say a photo of a selfie is worth a thousand words. I would say that a picture of a family is more of a capturing of a memory. When it comes to an artistic photo, I would say it's more okay if there is more punctum then there is studium.



No comments:

Post a Comment